An Ayurvedic Thanksgiving- Recipes the Whole Family Will Enjoy
The holiday season is here, allowing us to indulge in delicious food with family and friends. Our tables tend to be filled with many options when attending family holidays. This time of year is about enjoying simple pleasures with the people we care about most, so if you're looking for nourishing dishes to provide for the whole family this year, look no further. Read on for Bennd's Ayurvedic holiday menu, which is sure to impress everyone at the table. Double the recipes for bigger dinner parties.
Warming Spiced Tea
A great start to the evening doesn't need to include alcoholic beverages. This tea is a great option to help calm the spirits and prime the body for digestion before indulging. Its grounding herbs are great for all doshas and have heating qualities, which help stimulate our digestive fire, allowing for easier digestion and elimination.Serves 4
- 6 Cups filtered water
- 1/4 tsp clove powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Star Anise
- 1/8 tsp Cardamon
- 1/8 tsp ginger powder
- splash of milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or to taste
- Bring water to a boil in a medium-sized pot.
- Once water is boiling, remove from heat. Add spices to the water and stir.
- Allow the spices to steep for four minutes before straining.
- Add maple syrup and stir. Pour into four mugs.
- Add a splash of your milk of choice to taste. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and serve warm.
Green Beans with Ghee & Macadamia Nuts
Ditch the Green Bean Casserole for a healthy, more nourishing option. Green beans with ghee are a great go-to dish any day of the week and a favorite every Thanksgiving. It is great warm or cold and a perfect leftover to pack in your kids' lunches. These green beans are buttery, warming, and make the perfect side dish to accompany your main feast. Serves 4
- 4 cups green beans
- 4 tbsp Ghee
- tsp Salt
- tsp Pepper
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 sprig of chopped fresh Rosemary
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Warm a medium-sized cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
- Chop onion and garlic. Add 1/2 of the ghee to the pan, and then add the onion and garlic. Stir and saute until slightly golden.
- Add the green beans to the pan. Add salt, pepper, rosemary, and the other half of the ghee. Stir and cook until they are soft and slightly brown.
- Remove the green beans from heat and add to a serving plate. Top with sliced almonds, and enjoy.
Butternut Squash Soup
Looking for a great side or appetizer dish? This fan favorite, with an Ayurvedic twist, does not disappoint. Ingredients:
- 32 oz vegetable Broth
- One large butternut squash
- tbsp ghee
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk
- tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- tsp salt (or to taste)
- tsp pepper (or to taste)
- Three cloves garlic
- 1/2 yellow onion
- Sprinkle of pumpkin seeds
- tbsp olive oil
- Add vegetable broth to a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil. Chop the butternut squash, onion, and garlic.
- Sautee the onion and garlic in a pan with ghee until golden brown. Add it to the broth with the butternut squash.
- Add turmeric, paprika, salt, and pepper to the broth. Simmer until the squash is soft and cooked all the way.
- Add the mixture to a blender and pulse until it is thoroughly combined. Pour the mixture back into the pot and add coconut milk. Stir well to combine.
- Serve hot and top with pumpkin seeds, olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
Spiced Apple Crumble
A nutritious dish to satisfy your sweet tooth without the sugar rush. This Spiced Apple crumble is perfect for dessert and to warm up the following day with your coffee, that is, if there is any left. Ingredients:
- 3 large apples
- 2 cups oats
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 2 tbsp of maple syurp
- tsp cinnamon
- 5 pitted and chopped dates
- pinch of cardamon
- Chop the apples into small cubes and set aside
- Blend half of the oats until they are in a fine powder to create the oat flour. Combine oat flour, oats, ghee, and maple syrup.
- Mix the apples with cinnamon, cardamom, coconut sugar, dates, and ghee.
- Line a baking sheet with half of the mixture, then add the apples on top of the mixture. Top with the remainder of the blend.
- Add to oven and bake at 350* for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before serving.